Saturday, August 06, 2005

Almost Imagined

Opening Poem Remarks: This is one of the poems I've been lucky enough to have published recently in AVOCET, A Journal of Nature Poetry. Avocet is a print journal, and I recommend it to those of you who write nature poetry.

Almost Imagined

At the edge of the gorge, I squelch my lamp

and stare into an absence, or what appears

to be absence. Darkness, uniformly black,

featureless. Slowly, imperceptibly, individual

trees begin to appear. Beside, behind,

a forest takes shape and deepens, one tree

at a time. The gash of gorge lightens

until a faint swath of creek materializes,

almost imaginary. But loud.

Then: an owl

in the maple beside me. Twinned moons

shine gold from the disc of its face.


I have nothing to add but a shiver.



Mary Stebbins

At Silk Creek

Closing Poem Comments: This poem is about Silk Creek. The Silk Creek Review, our new on-line Zine that has just gone Live. The web address is: http://silkcreekreview.bravehost.com/ We also have a BLOG, Silk Creek Portal, that anyone can post on with an invitation from me or comment on any time. The address is: http://silkcreekportal.blogspot.com/ If you want an invite, email me.

No comments: